Why do LEDs dim so poorly?
Andrew Gabriel
2014-05-08 10:34:16 UTC
You can buy LED lamps that will change color to anything you can
imagine. Why don't they make a dimmable LED that tracks the color of a
dimming incandescent?
I could see them starting by taking down the blue and then the green
so it would go through yellow to orange and then dim from there to
off.
Someone does make LEDs that dim like incandescents.
Sorry, I can't recall the name, but they appear at lighting
shows. They are not retrofit lamps, but whole fittings.
I would guess they're patented and expensive, but I haven't
seen the pricing.

Cross-posted sci.engr.lighting - someone there might recall
the manufacturer.
--
Andrew Gabriel
k***@attt.bizz
2014-05-09 00:43:56 UTC
Post by Andrew Gabriel
You can buy LED lamps that will change color to anything you can
imagine. Why don't they make a dimmable LED that tracks the color of a
dimming incandescent?
I could see them starting by taking down the blue and then the green
so it would go through yellow to orange and then dim from there to
off.
Someone does make LEDs that dim like incandescents.
Sorry, I can't recall the name, but they appear at lighting
shows. They are not retrofit lamps, but whole fittings.
I would guess they're patented and expensive, but I haven't
seen the pricing.
Dimming isn't the issue. That's been available for some time (and
more/better ones are in the pipe).
http://gizmodo.com/philips-dimmable-led-lightning-review-so-much-light-s-498849873

The issue was color while dimming.
the manufacturer.
Andrew Gabriel
2014-05-09 07:19:44 UTC
Post by k***@attt.bizz
Post by Andrew Gabriel
You can buy LED lamps that will change color to anything you can
imagine. Why don't they make a dimmable LED that tracks the color of a
dimming incandescent?
I could see them starting by taking down the blue and then the green
so it would go through yellow to orange and then dim from there to
off.
Someone does make LEDs that dim like incandescents.
Sorry, I can't recall the name, but they appear at lighting
shows. They are not retrofit lamps, but whole fittings.
I would guess they're patented and expensive, but I haven't
seen the pricing.
Dimming isn't the issue. That's been available for some time (and
more/better ones are in the pipe).
http://gizmodo.com/philips-dimmable-led-lightning-review-so-much-light-s-498849873
The issue was color while dimming.
That's what I was referring to - you can buy LED fittings which dim
with the colour temperature shift of indandescents.
--
Andrew Gabriel
Victor Roberts
2014-05-09 11:47:51 UTC
Post by Andrew Gabriel
Post by k***@attt.bizz
Post by Andrew Gabriel
[...]
Philips has a patent on the color change with dimming. I'll look it up
and post the number.
--
Vic Roberts
http://www.RobertsResearchInc.com

This information is provided for educational purposes only.
It may not be used in any publication or posted on any Web
site without written permission.