It's Awful Quiet Here
Victor Roberts
2013-04-29 12:48:49 UTC
I've been away from this group for quite a while, but I'm still
surprised to see how quiet it is here.
--
Vic Roberts
http://www.RobertsResearchInc.com

This information is provided for educational purposes only.
It may not be used in any publication or posted on any Web
site without written permission.
JB
2013-04-29 16:01:25 UTC
Post by Victor Roberts
I've been away from this group for quite a while, but I'm still
surprised to see how quiet it is here.
It does appear that some groups on Usenet are finally dying off. I think
most here have moved onto web-based forums. But I'll bet there are a few of
the old crew lurking here once or twice a week though. Some of the
newsgroups I subscribe to are still pretty active, but the average age of
the contributors must now be over 55yrs!
Cheers!

JB
Andrew Gabriel
2013-04-29 22:06:50 UTC
Post by JB
Post by Victor Roberts
I've been away from this group for quite a while, but I'm still
surprised to see how quiet it is here.
It does appear that some groups on Usenet are finally dying off. I think
most here have moved onto web-based forums. But I'll bet there are a few of
the old crew lurking here once or twice a week though. Some of the
newsgroups I subscribe to are still pretty active, but the average age of
the contributors must now be over 55yrs!
There's a DIY newsgroup I'm on which is very active, but that's
because no one under 40 (and not many under 50) know how to do
even the most basic DIY anymore.
--
Andrew Gabriel
JB
2013-04-30 07:36:39 UTC
Post by Andrew Gabriel
Post by JB
Post by Victor Roberts
I've been away from this group for quite a while, but I'm still
surprised to see how quiet it is here.
It does appear that some groups on Usenet are finally dying off. I think
most here have moved onto web-based forums. But I'll bet there are a few of
the old crew lurking here once or twice a week though. Some of the
newsgroups I subscribe to are still pretty active, but the average age of
the contributors must now be over 55yrs!
There's a DIY newsgroup I'm on which is very active, but that's
because no one under 40 (and not many under 50) know how to do
even the most basic DIY anymore.
That does seem to be the truth of it!!

JB
Jeff Waymouth
2013-04-30 10:44:17 UTC
Post by JB
Post by Victor Roberts
I've been away from this group for quite a while, but I'm still
surprised to see how quiet it is here.
It does appear that some groups on Usenet are finally dying off. I think
most here have moved onto web-based forums. But I'll bet there are a few of
the old crew lurking here once or twice a week though. Some of the
newsgroups I subscribe to are still pretty active, but the average age of
the contributors must now be over 55yrs!
Cheers!
JB
I resemble that remark!

Jeff Waymouth
Victor Roberts
2013-04-30 14:07:46 UTC
Post by JB
Post by Victor Roberts
I've been away from this group for quite a while, but I'm still
surprised to see how quiet it is here.
It does appear that some groups on Usenet are finally dying off. I think
most here have moved onto web-based forums. But I'll bet there are a few of
the old crew lurking here once or twice a week though. Some of the
newsgroups I subscribe to are still pretty active, but the average age of
the contributors must now be over 55yrs!
Cheers!
55 - you mean they are kids :-)

Jeff Waymouth
2013-04-30 10:42:53 UTC
Yep, there hasn't been much going on, for sure!

Jeff Waymouth
Victor Roberts
2013-04-30 14:09:24 UTC
Post by Victor Roberts
I've been away from this group for quite a while, but I'm still
surprised to see how quiet it is here.
I joined a lighting discussion on Linkedin but the discussions are
mostly advertising of one for or another. No serious discussions so
far.

Travis Evans
2013-05-01 14:36:39 UTC
Post by Victor Roberts
I've been away from this group for quite a while, but I'm still
surprised to see how quiet it is here.
Yes, much to my disappointment, too. :( Are there other forums/lists
that everyone has moved to, or maybe no one here just has anything to
talk about right now?

I always thought a realtime chat room would be fun, though I don't know
if there would be enough of us active for that to work well.
Travis
Joerg Niggemeyer
2013-05-13 10:55:47 UTC
On Mon, 29 Apr 2013 08:48:49 -0400, Victor Roberts
Post by Victor Roberts
I've been away from this group for quite a while, but I'm still
surprised to see how quiet it is here.
I always thought a realtime chat room would be fun, though I don't know
if there would be enough of us active for that to work well.
The German Telekomm has shut down their newsnet server several
years ago, so I was simply plugged off - I don't know if in other
countries some providers did the same thing?
I have just brought my newsnet connectivity back into action, because
I like the pure style and easy combination with all kinds of different
themes in one app, especially on my Beagle-board :-)
rgds Joerg
--
Nucon Gesellschaft bürgerlichen Rechts Geschäftsführer: Joerg
Niggemeyer & Gert G.Niggemeyer Email: ***@nucon.de WEB:
http://www.nucon.de
Travis Evans
2013-05-14 06:59:01 UTC
Post by Victor Roberts
I've been away from this group for quite a while, but I'm still
surprised to see how quiet it is here.
I always thought a realtime chat room would be fun, though I don't know
if there would be enough of us active for that to work well.
The German Telekomm has shut down their newsnet server several
years ago, so I was simply plugged off - I don't know if in other
countries some providers did the same thing?
I have just brought my newsnet connectivity back into action, because
I like the pure style and easy combination with all kinds of different
themes in one app, especially on my Beagle-board :-)
rgds Joerg
Several ISPs here in the US have been doing the same, judging it to be
in decline and not worth the cost of maintaining. Cox (my ISP) hung on
until fairly recently, but I had switched to aioe.org some time before
because I was tired of Cox's broken servers randomly dumping all the
messages on a regular basis and otherwise being unusuable.
Travis
Kappa7
2013-08-29 12:58:01 UTC
Post by Victor Roberts
I've been away from this group for quite a while, but I'm still
surprised to see how quiet it is here.
--
Vic Roberts
http://www.RobertsResearchInc.com
http://www.cflfacts.com
sci.engr.lighting Rogues Gallery http://www.langmuir.org
replace xyz with vdr in the Reply to: address
or use e-mail address listed at the Web site.
This information is provided for educational purposes only.
It may not be used in any publication or posted on any Web
site without written permission.
Hello Vic,

I think that very few (young but also not so young) peoples are still using newsgroups simply because they are superseded by forums. I see that this is a real interesting group of passionate lighting guy. I suggest you to join the forum/gallery on www.lighting-gallery.net (I'm user Kappa7). We are about 600 lighting enthusiast members and I'm sure that you could enjoy and further increase the quality of this community.