Missing for Too Long
Add Reply
Victor Roberts
2016-05-11 11:38:23 UTC
I had given up on sci.engr.lighting but see that at least two of the
old guard are still here. That's great. I've tried participating in
the LinkedIn lighting groups, but they are filled with exaggerated
advertising claims that it's almost impossible to have a serious
discussion.
--
Vic Roberts
http://www.RobertsResearchInc.com

This information is provided for educational purposes only.
It may not be used in any publication or posted on any Web
site without written permission.
Adam Aglionby
2016-05-18 23:50:47 UTC
Post by Victor Roberts
I had given up on sci.engr.lighting but see that at least two of the
old guard are still here. That's great. I've tried participating in
the LinkedIn lighting groups, but they are filled with exaggerated
advertising claims that it's almost impossible to have a serious
discussion.
--
Vic Roberts
http://www.RobertsResearchInc.com
http://www.cflfacts.com
sci.engr.lighting Rogues Gallery http://www.langmuir.org
replace xyz with vdr in the Reply to: address
or use e-mail address listed at the Web site.
This information is provided for educational purposes only.
It may not be used in any publication or posted on any Web
site without written permission.
Hey Vic, Definately been too long, usenet may not be fashionable but it still has its place :-)

Gotta check in more often..

Cheers
Adam
Rusty
2016-05-19 04:11:16 UTC
As a casual non-pro with an interest in lighting, I enjoyed the discussions
that took place here, but yeah, this place is pretty dead.

Lately I have been lurking around Reddit and found a couple of lighting
subreddits.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Lighting/
https://www.reddit.com/r/LED_lighting/

Both are kinda quiet, but still see way more activity than here.

It would be interesting if someone who worked at a major lighting
manufacturer did a AMA (Ask Me Anything.)

I.N. Galidakis
2016-06-17 17:16:06 UTC
Hi Vic and everyone of old in s.e.l.

Consider moving to:
http://www.lighting-gallery.net/index.php

Lots of nice stuff there. My nick there is UV. I've used the site for a couple
of questions, but mainly I've been browsing the photos...

Interesting resource for very old items and people who know their lamps.

Can't really beat the quality of s.e.l. but I'd love to see you guys there. Not
a spam or a promotion service, mind you.

Hope everyone is well,
--
Ioannis
Andrew Gabriel
2016-06-18 09:41:21 UTC
Post by I.N. Galidakis
Hi Vic and everyone of old in s.e.l.
http://www.lighting-gallery.net/index.php
Lots of nice stuff there. My nick there is UV. I've used the site for a couple
of questions, but mainly I've been browsing the photos...
Interesting resource for very old items and people who know their lamps.
Can't really beat the quality of s.e.l. but I'd love to see you guys there. Not
a spam or a promotion service, mind you.
Make it available over NNTP so I don't have to suffer a slow web
interface, don't have to "login", etc, and might.
--
Andrew Gabriel
Jeff Jonas
2016-07-06 15:10:49 UTC
Post by Victor Roberts
I had given up on sci.engr.lighting but see that at least two of the
old guard are still here. That's great. I've tried participating in
the LinkedIn lighting groups, but they are filled with exaggerated
advertising claims that it's almost impossible to have a serious discussion.
I'm disgusted with what linkedin has become: another Facebook clone,
full of "click here to like ...", please let us steal your contact list,
and now, fraud/spam/advertising.

So where are professionals to discuss things?
I fear the IEEE and ACM require $$ membership for their services.

-- jeffj
Travis Evans
2016-08-03 23:39:44 UTC
I've occasionally glanced at the group from time to time myself, hoping
that there would be some life. With this and one other group being the
only things left on Usenet that I actively monitor, my activity has gone
down to the point where I frequently forget to check in for months at a
time.

If there are other places many people here find that they seem to like
to hang out, I'm definitely interested in checking them out. :-)

discussion.
Bob
2017-04-09 13:08:35 UTC
Post by Victor Roberts
I had given up on sci.engr.lighting but see that at least two of the
old guard are still here. That's great. I've tried participating in
the LinkedIn lighting groups, but they are filled with exaggerated
advertising claims that it's almost impossible to have a serious
discussion.
--
Vic Roberts
http://www.RobertsResearchInc.com
http://www.cflfacts.com
sci.engr.lighting Rogues Gallery http://www.langmuir.org
replace xyz with vdr in the Reply to: address
or use e-mail address listed at the Web site.
This information is provided for educational purposes only.
It may not be used in any publication or posted on any Web
site without written permission.
I never really participated in this group. But did enjoy hanging out on the fringes. When I first started out in lighting I tripped upon this page. I found a wealth of information and enjoyment reading the post. That was a decade ago. Time flies... Take care everyone