Can a 12v/24v power cord used with 120v rope light?
Henry
2012-02-08 01:59:30 UTC
Probably a dumb question, but...

I bought Hampton Bay 3/8 inch 2 wire rope lights at Harbor Freight.
They came with an outdoor power cord, which my wife thinks is too
bulky. The rope lights will be used indoors only.

I am having trouble finding a power cord that uses cord the size of
lamp cord in white. I did find a 12/24 volt 2 wire power cord that
looks like it will work.

Will the insulation on this cord be enough for 120volt ac. Is there
any other safety issues I should be aware of?

Henry
Don Klipstein
2012-02-09 00:36:22 UTC
Post by Henry
Probably a dumb question, but...
I bought Hampton Bay 3/8 inch 2 wire rope lights at Harbor Freight.
They came with an outdoor power cord, which my wife thinks is too
bulky. The rope lights will be used indoors only.
I am having trouble finding a power cord that uses cord the size of
lamp cord in white. I did find a 12/24 volt 2 wire power cord that
looks like it will work.
Will the insulation on this cord be enough for 120volt ac. Is there
any other safety issues I should be aware of?
The 12/24 volt cord is probably not listed or recognized by any of the
recognized safety testing laboratories (UL, CSA, ETL, etc.). The
insulation on 12V or other low voltage wires normally withstands 120V AC,
but there are possible issues:

* The insulation may age or degrade in a way that makes it no longer
reliable

* The insulation may have thin spots that are unreliable

* The insulation may not be reliable against line voltage spikes

* The insulation may be unreliable at certain temperatures

* The insulation material may catch fire more easily than those used in
recognized or listed cords, if a short happens
- Don Klipstein (***@donklipstein.com)
Henry
2012-02-09 03:53:15 UTC
Thank you Don, I will look for 120v wire.

Henry