How do I calibrate a light intensity meter?
JAH
2006-07-25 14:04:12 UTC
Hi,

I need to calibrate the light intensity meter on a solar simulator
(global AM 1.5) to obtain a direct reading in mW/m2. This meter
comprises a cooled silicon photodiode and fibre optics to couple light
transmission from the test plane. Available pyranometers seem to be
physically too big to fit on the test plane and in any case, I've read
that they are unsuitable for this purpose.

How is this task normally achieved?

Thanks in advance.
John.
k***@gmail.com
2013-05-02 18:08:27 UTC
Post by JAH
Hi,
I need to calibrate the light intensity meter on a solar simulator
(global AM 1.5) to obtain a direct reading in mW/m2. This meter
comprises a cooled silicon photodiode and fibre optics to couple light
transmission from the test plane. Available pyranometers seem to be
physically too big to fit on the test plane and in any case, I've read
that they are unsuitable for this purpose.
How is this task normally achieved?
Thanks in advance.
John.
Hello, I have some questions regarding pyranometer calibration!

After doing a linear regression analysis in excel plotting the pyranometer response (y-axis) vs the reference cell (x-axis) and inserting a "line of best-fit" we get the R-squared value and the line-equation. If the R-squared is 0.95 it indicated that the correlation is good, but how do I calculate and allow for the offset in future experimental values obtained by the pyranometer? Do I simply substitute the x in the equation by the experimental value or can I calculate some correction factor to multiply by?

Please help, I'm really confused about this!

Cheers