Linear Infrared Lamp
Victor Roberts
2013-12-18 11:57:22 UTC
I need information on a very unusual linear infrared lamp. The lamp
is rated at 4000 watts and 235 volts, but is only 350 mm long. This
far more power per unit length than any other linear lamp I have
found.

The lamp label gives the manufacturer as Solaronics IRT, but their web
site has no information for any IR lamps.

I have been told that the lamp was actually manufactured by Philips,
but, as far as I know, Philips has never made IR lamps with this power
density. To confuse the situation further, when I search for "Philips
infrared lamp" I get a number of Chinese manufacturers who claim to
sell "Philips" lamps, which I know are not made by Philips. Has the
term "philips lamp" become generic for certain lamp types?
--
Vic Roberts
http://www.RobertsResearchInc.com

This information is provided for educational purposes only.
It may not be used in any publication or posted on any Web
site without written permission.
JB
2013-12-19 13:17:32 UTC
Post by Victor Roberts
I need information on a very unusual linear infrared lamp. The lamp
is rated at 4000 watts and 235 volts, but is only 350 mm long. This
far more power per unit length than any other linear lamp I have
found.
The lamp label gives the manufacturer as Solaronics IRT, but their web
site has no information for any IR lamps.
I have been told that the lamp was actually manufactured by Philips,
but, as far as I know, Philips has never made IR lamps with this power
density. To confuse the situation further, when I search for "Philips
infrared lamp" I get a number of Chinese manufacturers who claim to
sell "Philips" lamps, which I know are not made by Philips. Has the
term "philips lamp" become generic for certain lamp types?
--
As far as I remember, Philips only produced NIR lamps of that approximate
length up to 2kW, (for general space heating applications in any case).
JB
JB
2013-12-20 08:47:52 UTC
Post by JB
Post by Victor Roberts
[...]
On a similar note, checking some old factory lamp data yesterday for Vic's
query, reminded me of one of our German customers from the early '80s used
to use our 'Graph-X' PAR64 metal halide UV reprographic lamps for facial sun
tanning units!!!!! Scary. Wonder how many users are still alive now....

JB
Jeff Waymouth
2013-12-19 16:40:59 UTC
I agree with JB. I looked back through my collection of old Philips
lamp catalogs and 2000W was the highest wattage I found in anything near
that length and voltage. I should say that my catalog collection was in
the Industrial Commercial family, not any really special stuff.

Jeff Waymouth
Victor Roberts
2013-12-20 23:06:06 UTC
Post by Victor Roberts
I need information on a very unusual linear infrared lamp. The lamp
is rated at 4000 watts and 235 volts, but is only 350 mm long. This
far more power per unit length than any other linear lamp I have
found.
The lamp label gives the manufacturer as Solaronics IRT, but their web
site has no information for any IR lamps.
I have been told that the lamp was actually manufactured by Philips,
but, as far as I know, Philips has never made IR lamps with this power
density. To confuse the situation further, when I search for "Philips
infrared lamp" I get a number of Chinese manufacturers who claim to
sell "Philips" lamps, which I know are not made by Philips. Has the
term "philips lamp" become generic for certain lamp types?
You are both correct.

The 4000 watt lamp was made by Soloronics IRT. The Philips lamp of
the same length is 1000 watts. My client was confused about the lamps.

Nice to see that the old place is not dead yet!!!

Happy holidays to all.