office lighting recommendation
Jeff Kish
2004-08-18 16:11:35 UTC
Hi.

I'm in an office with standard Flourescents.
I'd like to find some bulbs (reasonably priced) that will me more natural/less
visually straining on my eyes as I stare at a computer all day.

Can someone make a recommendation?
Thanks

Jeff Kish
Dick Downey
2004-08-18 20:29:24 UTC
Post by Jeff Kish
Hi.
I'm in an office with standard Flourescents.
I'd like to find some bulbs (reasonably priced) that will me more natural/less
visually straining on my eyes as I stare at a computer all day.
Can someone make a recommendation?
Thanks
Jeff Kish
1st would recommend going with TFT LCD Monitor. This will reduce eye strain
no matter what lamps you are using.

Dick
Jeff Kish
2004-08-20 14:19:36 UTC
Post by Jeff Kish
visually straining on my eyes as I stare at a computer all day.
Can someone make a recommendation?
Thanks
Jeff Kish
1st would recommend going with TFT LCD Monitor. This will reduce eye strain
no matter what lamps you are using.
Dick
Thanks, but work just pays for a standard Dell monitor.
what else?
Jeff Kish
Clive Mitchell
2004-08-20 23:44:52 UTC
Post by Jeff Kish
Thanks, but work just pays for a standard Dell monitor.
what else?
If you want to work more comfortably, then buying your own LCD monitor
might be something to consider. Just because it's "work" doesn't mean
you shouldn't make it more pleasant.
--
Clive Mitchell
http://www.bigclive.com
Jeff Kish
2004-08-23 12:48:53 UTC
On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 00:44:52 +0100, Clive Mitchell
Post by Clive Mitchell
Post by Jeff Kish
Thanks, but work just pays for a standard Dell monitor.
what else?
If you want to work more comfortably, then buying your own LCD monitor
might be something to consider. Just because it's "work" doesn't mean
you shouldn't make it more pleasant.
It is out of my price range. Thanks anyway.
Jeff Kish
Victor Roberts
2004-08-19 01:37:28 UTC
Post by Jeff Kish
Hi.
I'm in an office with standard Flourescents.
I'd like to find some bulbs (reasonably priced) that will me more natural/less
visually straining on my eyes as I stare at a computer all day.
Can someone make a recommendation?
Thanks
Jeff Kish
What type of "standard" fluorescent lamps? T12 or T8? I assume 4-foot.
If T12 are they 40-watt or 34-watt?
--
Vic Roberts
http://www.RobertsResearchInc.com
Jeff Kish
2004-08-20 14:20:37 UTC
Post by Victor Roberts
Post by Jeff Kish
Hi.
I'm in an office with standard Flourescents.
I'd like to find some bulbs (reasonably priced) that will me more natural/less
visually straining on my eyes as I stare at a computer all day.
Can someone make a recommendation?
Thanks
Jeff Kish
What type of "standard" fluorescent lamps? T12 or T8? I assume 4-foot.
If T12 are they 40-watt or 34-watt?
They look like 4 foot bulbs.
I can read "34 Watt" off the bulb through the grill.
Thanks
oh. p.s. I have contacts.. "really incredibly bad eyes".
Jeff Kish
Victor Roberts
2004-08-20 16:25:22 UTC
Post by Jeff Kish
Post by Victor Roberts
Post by Jeff Kish
Hi.
I'm in an office with standard Flourescents.
I'd like to find some bulbs (reasonably priced) that will me more natural/less
visually straining on my eyes as I stare at a computer all day.
Can someone make a recommendation?
Thanks
Jeff Kish
What type of "standard" fluorescent lamps? T12 or T8? I assume 4-foot.
If T12 are they 40-watt or 34-watt?
They look like 4 foot bulbs.
I can read "34 Watt" off the bulb through the grill.
Thanks
oh. p.s. I have contacts.. "really incredibly bad eyes".
Jeff Kish
OK, it sounds like you have 4-foot 34-watt T12 lamps, though they are
also called 40-watt ES lamps, and if you feel the color is poor they
are probably Cool White but it would be good to check.

Cool White lamps have a color rendition index (CRI) of about 60, which
is rather poor. You must replace the lamp with one of the same size
and power rating, but you will probably be happy with any of the
higher color quality versions such as the GE "SP" or "SPX" lamps, the
Osram Sylvania "Designer" or "Designer Plus" series or the Philips
"SPEC" series. The approximate CRI of each line is listed below.

GE SP CRI = 70
GE SPX CRI = 82
Osram Sylvania Designer CRI = 70
Osram Sylvania Designer Plus CRI = 80
Philips SPEC CRI = 73

Also, the lamps are available in color temperatures of 3000K and
3500K, and sometimes 4100K. These are usually designated by the first
two digits: 30, 35 41, etc.

You will probably prefer the highest CRI you can buy, and a color
temperature of 3000K or 3500K, though I do not know your preferences.

There is usually no advantage to so-called "full spectrum" lamps and
they are often less efficient and more expensive.
Replace xxx with vdr to reply via e-mail
Jeff Kish
2004-08-20 21:24:04 UTC
On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 12:25:22 -0400, Victor Roberts <***@lighting-research.com>
wrote:

<snip>
Post by Victor Roberts
Post by Jeff Kish
[...]
Thanks.
Man, these are expensive enought! (18 - 25/bulb).

Jeff Kish
Victor Roberts
2004-08-21 00:55:51 UTC
Post by Jeff Kish
<snip>
Post by Victor Roberts
Post by Jeff Kish
[...]
The T8 versions are much less expensive and also more efficient.
Suggest to your employer that he upgrade the fixtures to high CRI T8
lamps with electronic ballasts.
Jeff Kish
2004-08-23 12:50:24 UTC
Post by Victor Roberts
Post by Jeff Kish
<snip>
<snip>
Post by Victor Roberts
Post by Jeff Kish
Post by Victor Roberts
There is usually no advantage to so-called "full spectrum" lamps and
they are often less efficient and more expensive.
Thanks.
Man, these are expensive enought! (18 - 25/bulb).
Jeff Kish
The T8 versions are much less expensive and also more efficient.
Suggest to your employer that he upgrade the fixtures to high CRI T8
lamps with electronic ballasts.
Thanks. but they won't fly for that..
Jeff Kish
JM
2004-08-23 20:53:35 UTC
Post by Jeff Kish
Post by Victor Roberts
The T8 versions are much less expensive and also more efficient.
Suggest to your employer that he upgrade the fixtures to high CRI T8
lamps with electronic ballasts.
Thanks. but they won't fly for that..
Jeff Kish
"T8 versions are much less expensive" isn't necesserly true anymore. Prices
on T12's have come down greatly since the EPACT disaster.

On last pirce check of GE lamps.

F34T12/CW $1.21

F40T12/SP41 $2.01
F32T8/SP41 $2.48
Victor Roberts
2004-08-25 10:18:57 UTC
Post by JM
Post by Jeff Kish
Post by Victor Roberts
The T8 versions are much less expensive and also more efficient.
Suggest to your employer that he upgrade the fixtures to high CRI T8
lamps with electronic ballasts.
Thanks. but they won't fly for that..
Jeff Kish
"T8 versions are much less expensive" isn't necesserly true anymore. Prices
on T12's have come down greatly since the EPACT disaster.
What EPACT disaster? I believe EPACT has had a rather positive impact
on reducing energy consumption in the US.
Post by JM
On last pirce check of GE lamps.
F34T12/CW $1.21
F40T12/SP41 $2.01
F32T8/SP41 $2.48
I meant much less expensive than the prices you quoted for T12 SP
lamps in your earlier message.
JM
2004-08-25 22:21:52 UTC
Post by Victor Roberts
Post by JM
Post by Victor Roberts
Post by JM
on T12's have come down greatly since the EPACT disaster.
What EPACT disaster? I believe EPACT has had a rather positive impact
on reducing energy consumption in the US.
T12's are cheap once again, America's energy consumpion is still going up and
up. The oly real thing I praise EPACT for is getting rid 150w flood lamps.
It was very common to see 150w flood lamps being installed in homes. Today,
65w in homes and businesses are common, and even some cfls, big improvement.
Post by Victor Roberts
Post by JM
On last pirce check of GE lamps.
F34T12/CW $1.21
F40T12/SP41 $2.01
F32T8/SP41 $2.48
I meant much less expensive than the prices you quoted for T12 SP
lamps in your earlier message.
Must not have been my message. I do occassionally quote prices for
residential lights, such as GE's "Kitchen and bath ultra" at $3 to $4 each.
But these are SPX phosphors, though.
JM
2004-08-20 20:14:47 UTC
Post by Jeff Kish
Post by Victor Roberts
Post by Jeff Kish
Hi.
I'm in an office with standard Flourescents.
I'd like to find some bulbs (reasonably priced) that will me more natural/less
visually straining on my eyes as I stare at a computer all day.
Can someone make a recommendation?
Thanks
Jeff Kish
What type of "standard" fluorescent lamps? T12 or T8? I assume 4-foot.
If T12 are they 40-watt or 34-watt?
They look like 4 foot bulbs.
I can read "34 Watt" off the bulb through the grill.
Thanks
oh. p.s. I have contacts.. "really incredibly bad eyes".
Jeff Kish
There is a relation between extended close work (such as stareing at computer
monitors all day) and eye strain. The eye has to focus inward at close
objects, and holding the focus there for long periods isn't easy.

This is also the very common, but not so well known cause of nearsightedness.
It is very stressfull to hold the focus inwards for a very long time, so the
eye actually adapts itself by elongating so that it can view close objects
without any focusing effort. And then your eye doctor gives you
glasses/contacts which when worn for close work undoes the adapation, and
your eyes have to adapt all over again by elongating some more. The process
repeats. The glasses get thicker.

Some things you can do to releave the strain are; 1) People with normal
vision can wear reading glasses to reduce the focusing effort required by the
eye, and even as a nearsightedness prevention. 2) People that are already
moderatly nearsighted can simply remove the glasses/contacts when doing any
extended close work. 3) People that are badly or severly nearsighted can
purchace a weaker prescription (approx. 2-3 diopters weaker) glasses or
contacts that are to be used for any extended close work. The weakness
depends on how far you sit from the monitor or close work so that the eye can
view the close objects without any focusing effort.

On the lighting side of things, it's always a good idea to get rid of the
34w/CW lamps. Talk to your boss or maintenance guy to install 3,000k lamps,
preferably ones that are 40w. Also, offices tend to be lit brightly.
Sometimes simply delamping two of the four lamps in each fixture helps.
Blue Ridge Supply
2004-08-20 13:05:44 UTC
You should try full spectrum or color correct lamps these are as close to
natural sunlight as you can get. They are available in T8 or T12 in every
length imaginable. They reduce glare and eye strain and can be used in any
fixture. I hope this helps.
BA Russell

Jeff Kish
Ian Stirling
2004-08-21 01:09:20 UTC
Post by Jeff Kish
Hi.
I'm in an office with standard Flourescents.
I'd like to find some bulbs (reasonably priced) that will me more natural/less
visually straining on my eyes as I stare at a computer all day.
Can someone make a recommendation?
Thanks
You might consider consulting an optician about glasses that focus
naturally on the screen.
Jeff Kish
2004-08-23 12:53:09 UTC
Post by Ian Stirling
Post by Jeff Kish
Hi.
I'm in an office with standard Flourescents.
I'd like to find some bulbs (reasonably priced) that will me more natural/less
visually straining on my eyes as I stare at a computer all day.
Can someone make a recommendation?
Thanks
You might consider consulting an optician about glasses that focus
naturally on the screen.
Well, I wear contacts for multiple reasons, and my optician already knows I
stare at a computer all day. Maybe part of the problem is I need to be able to
see well outside of the office also.

My guess is that a wide screen a long ways away would be the best help, but
that is not in my budget either.

Thanks
Jeff Kish
Ian Stirling
2004-08-23 13:18:43 UTC
Post by Jeff Kish
Post by Ian Stirling
Post by Jeff Kish
Hi.
I'm in an office with standard Flourescents.
I'd like to find some bulbs (reasonably priced) that will me more natural/less
visually straining on my eyes as I stare at a computer all day.
Can someone make a recommendation?
Thanks
You might consider consulting an optician about glasses that focus
naturally on the screen.
Well, I wear contacts for multiple reasons, and my optician already knows I
stare at a computer all day. Maybe part of the problem is I need to be able to
see well outside of the office also.
There is no reason not to add glasses on top of contact lenses, for special
purposes.

You may find displays of cheap "reading" glasses at supermarkets or other
outlets.
Try a low-powered pair, or consult your optician.
TKM
2004-08-24 00:34:23 UTC
Post by Jeff Kish
Hi.
I'm in an office with standard Flourescents.
I'd like to find some bulbs (reasonably priced) that will me more natural/less
visually straining on my eyes as I stare at a computer all day.
Can someone make a recommendation?
Thanks
Jeff Kish
As you've probably guessed by now, the answer to your problem is not just
changing one fluorescent tube for another and a good solution will cost more
than a few dollars no matter what you do.

So, do those in charge at your office respond to saving money or improving
productivity? If you were visually more comfortable could you do more work
or would you stay at your computer 15 minutes longer each day. Convert that
to dollars and maybe someone will listen.

Terry McGowan
Paul Hovnanian P.E.
2004-09-01 22:02:13 UTC
Post by Jeff Kish
Hi.
I'm in an office with standard Flourescents.
I'd like to find some bulbs (reasonably priced) that will me more natural/less
visually straining on my eyes as I stare at a computer all day.
Can someone make a recommendation?
Thanks
Jeff Kish
First of all, find out exactly what it is that is causing you eye
strain. It might be glare, poor screen contrast or a problem with your
eyes and/or glasses prescription.

No amount of lighting tweaking is going to cure a slight astigmatism.
--
Paul Hovnanian mailto:***@Hovnanian.com
note to spammers: a Washington State resident
time!
u***@gmail.com
Hi there http://www.love4ighting.co.uk
Ingo Thies
2012-10-18 20:27:47 UTC
Post by u***@gmail.com
Post by Jeff Kish
Can someone make a recommendation?
Thanks
Jeff Kish
Hi there http://www.love4ighting.co.uk
Beside this there are also tools to reduce the color temperature of the
computer screen automatically after sunset (or even at daytime). For Mac
and Windows it is F.flux (proprietary freeware), for GNU/Linux it is
Redshift (open source; don't mix up with the astronomical tool
Redshift). However, reducing the color temperature below about 5000 K
may also reduce color rendering, so it may not suitable for
(photo)graphical work.

Best wishes,

Ingo
Tomsic
2012-10-19 13:27:19 UTC
Post by u***@gmail.com
Post by Jeff Kish
Hi.
I'm in an office with standard Flourescents.
I'd like to find some bulbs (reasonably priced) that will me more natural/less
visually straining on my eyes as I stare at a computer all day.
Can someone make a recommendation?
Thanks
Jeff Kish
Hi there http://www.love4ighting.co.uk
There are several things that can affect visual comfort. Color is one, but
glare is more often the culprit. Can you see the bare, bright tubes either
directly or reflected in your computer screen? If so, glare is contributing
to your problem.

Terry McGowan

u***@gmail.com
2012-10-18 17:31:21 UTC