blacklight, CFL vs linear
TimR
2012-03-04 02:13:19 UTC
Last November I posted a question about blacklights for detecting pet
urine. I can't reply to an old post, I'll try including a link. Not
sure what the convention is.

http://groups.google.com/group/sci.engr.lighting/browse_frm/thread/52d5b5191eb7c794/c1f17144dd76dc8d?hl=en&lnk=gst&q=cfl+uv+#c1f17144dd76dc8d

Anyway, I had tried a CFL but it was not successful.

Today I bought a $10 linear fluorescent blacklight, the 24 inch
version. It seems to be considerably more powerful than the CFL;
posters etc. light up from a good distance.

Once again i didn't find any animal stains even in a known spot.

But, I'm curious as to how this thing works. It is cheap plastic, and
the housing at the end where the switch and power cord reside seems
too small and much too light to contain a ballast. The whole thing
weighs barely more than the tube.
charles
2012-03-04 03:43:11 UTC
Post by TimR
Last November I posted a question about blacklights for detecting pet
urine. I can't reply to an old post, I'll try including a link. Not
sure what the convention is.
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.engr.lighting/browse_frm/thread/52d5b5191eb7c794/c1f17144dd76dc8d?hl=en&lnk=gst&q=cfl+uv+#c1f17144dd76dc8d
Anyway, I had tried a CFL but it was not successful.
Today I bought a $10 linear fluorescent blacklight, the 24 inch
version. It seems to be considerably more powerful than the CFL;
posters etc. light up from a good distance.
Once again i didn't find any animal stains even in a known spot.
But, I'm curious as to how this thing works. It is cheap plastic, and
the housing at the end where the switch and power cord reside seems
too small and much too light to contain a ballast. The whole thing
weighs barely more than the tube.
I don't know about the linear UV tube, but try one of these

http://www.amazon.com/Ultraviolet-LED-flashlight-Blacklight-7202UV395/dp/B001Q70A0G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1330832520&sr=8-2

Price just keeps falling, I think it was about $18 when I got mine.

Mine finds cat trails all over.
Andrew Gabriel
2012-03-04 13:44:14 UTC
Post by TimR
Last November I posted a question about blacklights for detecting pet
urine. I can't reply to an old post, I'll try including a link. Not
sure what the convention is.
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.engr.lighting/browse_frm/thread/52d5b5191eb7c794/c1f17144dd76dc8d?hl=en&lnk=gst&q=cfl+uv+#c1f17144dd76dc8d
Anyway, I had tried a CFL but it was not successful.
Today I bought a $10 linear fluorescent blacklight, the 24 inch
version. It seems to be considerably more powerful than the CFL;
posters etc. light up from a good distance.
Once again i didn't find any animal stains even in a known spot.
But, I'm curious as to how this thing works. It is cheap plastic, and
the housing at the end where the switch and power cord reside seems
too small and much too light to contain a ballast. The whole thing
weighs barely more than the tube.
Electronic ballasts to drive 24" tubes are available the same size
and weight as a matchbox, e.g. the Philips Matchbox range of ballasts.

I have also driven them using the old ballast from the base of a dead
CFL (back when electronic ballasts were harder to find than they are
now).
--
Andrew Gabriel
Victor Roberts
2012-05-26 12:15:49 UTC
Post by TimR
Last November I posted a question about blacklights for detecting pet
urine. I can't reply to an old post, I'll try including a link. Not
sure what the convention is.
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.engr.lighting/browse_frm/thread/52d5b5191eb7c794/c1f17144dd76dc8d?hl=en&lnk=gst&q=cfl+uv+#c1f17144dd76dc8d
Anyway, I had tried a CFL but it was not successful.
Today I bought a $10 linear fluorescent blacklight, the 24 inch
version. It seems to be considerably more powerful than the CFL;
posters etc. light up from a good distance.
Once again i didn't find any animal stains even in a known spot.
But, I'm curious as to how this thing works. It is cheap plastic, and
the housing at the end where the switch and power cord reside seems
too small and much too light to contain a ballast. The whole thing
weighs barely more than the tube.
The lamp may use a resistive ballast built into the plastic that runs
behind the bulb. GE developed a product called Bright Stick that used
this technology.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/GENERAL-ELECTRIC-CO.-Bright-Stick-25-Fluorescent-Tube-Instant-Lighting-with-Mounting-Kit-6-Cord/13136488
--
Vic Roberts
http://www.RobertsResearchInc.com

This information is provided for educational purposes only.
It may not be used in any publication or posted on any Web
site without written permission.